Thursday, December 14, 2006

Guard Duty

The other night was a little strange. The tall owner was MIA, and the short owner wasn't concerned at all. I think he may have been stuck in that box that flashes lights and makes a lot of noise because the short owner kept looking for him in there. The short owner and I went off to bed, but I was suspicious. I slept with one eye open, for fear that someone, or something might try to invade the homestead while I had no backup. When the numbers on the noisy thing that wakes up the owners were very small, I heard a noise! I leaped down from my bed and barked ferociously, racing towards the front door. I noticed that the short owner didn't stay low like I've instructed, but I can understand. Cracking under pressure is typical in this sort of situation. I raced into the living room to find that I had already scared off the intruder and standing there was the tall owner. He didn't even realize that I had saved us all with all of that awesome noise. I let him rub his hands on my dogly coat for a bit, then I headed back off to bed... all in a night's work.

1 comment:

Norm said...

I can appreciate your guarding instincts. I've been trying to guard my people at night from whatever is living in that white basket. All I know is there are all sorts of weird noises. Every now and then there is a loud war cry. It's only a matter of time before there is an attack.

I'm not sure where Lily goes off to at night, but she seems to be safe and sound each morning. She is clearly much smarter than the big people. They do not understand the danger they are in. I can only put up with them kicking me for so long for I give up and retreat to another room.