Monday, March 19, 2007

Doomsday

I woke up this morning to find the short one still in bed after the tall one left for work. I was glad to have the company and was beside myself when she grabbed my leash and called me to come with her for a ride in the car. As we sped down the highway, the scents I took in as I stuck my head out the window were intoxicating. I was in dog heaven...until we arrived at our destination.

I smelled the fear of the other dogs as we got off the highway and pulled into the vet's parking lot. I whined and moaned as we waited, but she didn't seem to be able to interpret my cries this time. As she led me to the scale, I decided to be a willing participant this time and actually sat down and didn't move when she told me to. (I'm proud to say that my dieting and exercise have worked...I'm down to a healthy 65 pounds now.)

I tried to walk back to the door to leave, but instead, we did the dreaded walk down the hall of doom and she led me into a little room. I had a new doctor this time, but I think I liked her. She looked at my eyes, ears and paws. I even let her look at my teeth, but only because she was petting me the whole time. At one point, I even rolled onto my back to allow her to scratch my belly. (I have no shame. I'll take any attention I can get.) She tried to clean my front leg to draw some blood, but like the tall one, I said "I'll have none of that" and I bared my teeth at her. The nurse left and came back with a muzzle. I've never encountered one of these before, but I guess you could say it was strangely soothing to me because I did not even flinch when they drew blood and gave me my other two shots in the rear. They removed the muzzle and I was sure to let them know how happy I was about it and wagged my tail, scurrying around the room.


I was relieved when we were able to leave after that, but I heard her talking to them about bringing me back in a few weeks for a new shot I'm getting. (The vet said they have had two recent cases of it.) Crap. Here we go again...

1 comment:

Norm said...

That muzzle thing you speak of sounds a lot like the "party hat" I have to wear when I get my nails trimmed. Interesting.